This is a place where you can find out more about some useful things related to jazz music and everything related to jazz. This is for instrumentalists, vocalists, critics, and all who are at least curious about all that jazz...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sound system


So here I was, wondering about my next topic and couldn't decide what to write about. Then I realized I could share one story with you. Here's a little something that happened to me quite recently. I have a trio and we have one regular gig at the moment. Just the other day we were asked to perform without a sound system! Uhm. Ok. Meaning, to play in a restaurant where people are talking and the waiters are giving and taking orders, carrying stuff around. Just to say this is not a quiet place. As you know jazz is pretty difficult to play, especially if you have a jazz guitar that really needs to be plugged into some amp or a sound system, otherwise you wouldn't hear a thing. It's like asking an electric guitar player to play acoustic! And try playing jazz on an acoustic guitar. It can happen but it's not the same. Not to mention the idiotic idea to sing without the mic. Especially when you sing bossa nova or really soft tunes... anyway, what to do?? It's an incredible situation which had never happened to me before and I was pretty stunned to see it happen. And how to prove that this is not possible?

Thankfully, we signed a certain contract which states what the performance includes. It's very important to make a contract that you will sign when you perform regularly somewhere. Then you know what are your rights and what can and cannot be done.

Be sure to include sections where you state what the performance includes, how much you get paid, when you get paid, what should happen in case of unpredictable situations, how to deal with conflicts, etc.


And it's always good to be a member of some musicians' association that protects your rights as a performer that will advise you in these situations and many others that might occur.


Just a little tip for everyone that I can give from this experience!

2 comments:

VampireHeart said...

Did this relly happen?? And how did u perform without a sound system? What did you do?

Abelha Maia said...

Yes, unbelievable but true. It really did happen. I said that I was not going to sing. They said - ok. (?!) And my band said they wouldn't play if I don't sing (besides the guitar player can't play without the amp). So we didn't play.